Each of the widgets on the Readership tab provides a unique view on your work’s readership. Explore downloads geographically using the Readership Distribution Map and Countries widgets, or see sources of readership with Institutions and Referrers.
You can focus on certain parts of the dashboard by collapsing and expanding widgets as needed.
Readership Distribution Map
The dashboard map displays download counts by location for the date range selected. If the dashboard is filtered for an individual work, the map will update to show download data for that title. Click the download clusters to zoom in to a more granular view and to see details of downloaded works.
- Use the +/- zoom tool to get a more detailed view of download locations.
- Use the up, down, left, and right arrows to move the map–or simply drag with the hand tool.
- Click the view larger icon to expand the size of the map, which can be useful on a mobile device.
Cluster colors indicate the number of digits in a region’s download totals.
- Pink: Tens of thousands of downloads
- Orange: Thousands of downloads
- Green: Triple digits
- Yellow: Double digits
- Purple: Single digits
Clicking a cluster drills down two levels.
Map Readership Details:
Click the cluster markers to zoom in and reveal more detailed clusters. Clicking the lowest-level marker will display readership details, including the titles of downloaded works and the institution(s) where they were accessed, if applicable. Results can be sorted using the arrows at the top of each column.
The Institutions widget displays organizations, universities, and other settings where full texts were downloaded, along with the number of downloads at each. Institutions have been identified by their IP address. The time period reflects the current date selection for the dashboard.
Percentage of downloads per institution type appears in the color-coded graph at the top:
- Click an institution type or color block to filter the list by type, or select from the Filter by type menu.
- The institution types are: Commercial, Organization, Government, Military, Education, and Library.
- To return to viewing all institution types, select “Show All” from the menu.
Each institution is listed in the table with its category and its total downloads:
- Start typing in the table’s search box to find a particular institution or institution type.
- You can show more than 10 entries in the table by selecting a different number from the “Show ___ Entries” drop-down list.
- Results can be sorted using the arrows at the top of each column.
- Use the arrow to the left of an institution to view individual article downloads.
Suggesting a different institution category:
If you see an institution in an incorrect category, tell us about it! Click the edit icon next to the institution type for an expanded institution and complete the form.
Searching and exporting institutions:
The search box in the table may be used to further refine institution results. Clicking Export will allow you to output whatever is currently showing in the widget to CSV. If no search has been performed, all entries in the widget will export. Whether exporting a full list or a filtered list, only top-level institution data will be included, exclusive of any article-level details available by manually drilling down.
The Countries table shows top downloads by country, which are easily broken down by region or state using the interactive map. Countries have been identified by IP address.
Click a country on the map to see a regional distribution of that country’s readership and to populate the table with the regions displayed. Hovering over a region on the map provides a quick view of the associated downloads.
To return to the world map, click the “Back to World” button.
Each country is listed in the table with its total downloads:
- You may start typing in the search box at the top of the table to find locations.
- You can show more than 10 entries by selecting a different number from the “Show ___ Entries” drop-down list.
- Results can be sorted by using the arrows at the top of each column.
- Clicking the arrow to the left of each entry drills down to article details for the selected country.
Clicking Export will allow you to output whatever is currently showing in the widget to CSV. If no search has been performed, all entries in the widget will export. Whether exporting a full list or a filtered list, only the country-related data will be included–exclusive of any article-level details available by manually drilling down.
The sites listed here reveal the sources of inbound traffic to full-text documents. Use the search box to find specific referrers and export current results to a CSV file.
You can show more than 10 entries by selecting a different number from the “Show ___ Entries” drop-down list. Sort the list by using the arrows at the top of each column.
Note that some valid downloads do not have associated referral data, because not all users pass along referral information. Over the years, fewer and fewer browsers and search engines have passed along this information, so referrer numbers now include only a small fraction of traffic.